Sunday, November 12, 2006

Untechnical ME

I grew up in a very non computer world up until the age of about 34. That's when the computer world went nuts and every one was getting PC's. We got one. We turned it on. It did stuff like write letters without mistakes. You did not need white out or carbon paper for copies. As time progressed, the children took computer classes as part of their school classes. Buff took a class too. But no one taught me anything. I would ask questions to my 10 year old and she would show me editing, margins, spacing and how to add clip art. If two weeks went by and I did not get on the computer. This was way before email when you checked your email everyday. I would forget and ask again...the same questions. After a while I could not take the deep sighs of exasperation from ALL the family members so I just stopped asking. I played around with the computer and learned very little over the years.

So now comes the wonderful world of blogging. I like to write. I can do this. So here I enter the screen at "start your own blog" and I am terrified. But you know what? I did it all by myself. And you know what else? My very computer savy Bettylou is very proud of me. It's not a fancy page. Bettylou says she can help me next time she visits. I will take her help even if I don't commit to memory how she does it and I have to ask her again at another date.

But you know what I can do? I can type 50 wpm on a manual typewriter. Buff can do 90. I can sew just about anything from scratch or from a pattern. I can parallel park...uphill. I can swim really really well. I can balance a checkbook without a computer. I can refinish furniture to make it look new again. But more importantly, I've managed to keep the man in my life happy and full. Because the best thing I can do is cook. I don't particularly like to cook but I can do it. I don't mean microwave and serve. I mean defrost, from scratch baking of pies and cakes, smells from the oven, squish your avocados, make my own tortilla cooking. To me this is what separates one generation from another. The "proof is in the pudding" because I know where my family (sans one LLS who lives in another state) will be on Thanksgiving. They follow the smell home because nothing is as good as the 4 hour turkey smell coming from the home of MOM.
I've been told on many occasion that "I don't need to learn to cook a turkey"...I will be home every year for Thanksgiving. Be careful...every year is a loonnggg time. Just so you know, every year I will have the smells and real mashed potatoes waiting for you. I will never let you down.

And one more thing..I'm really good at being a mom.

POINT: Learn something new. You will be very proud of yourself. I know I am proud to be blogging and I'm proud of you.

3 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger HelloBettyLou said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mom, LLS here, and I will have you know that I did make a turkey last year, for eight people and they loved it. It was very moist. I took all of my dinner-making cues from you and it was the best non-Mom related Thanksgiving a California transplanted child could have made without her Mommy. And you are the best Mom ever-so good in fact and raised so well was I that I have decided to srick it out here in the Golden State and live my best life. All thanks to the best Mom and Dad a child could ever hope for! I love you!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger HelloBettyLou said...

You are the best mom ever. I will write down any and all instructions you need teh next time I am in your neck of teh woods.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home