Monday, November 06, 2006

Death and taxes

I've known Karen for 10 years. She use to come in my dental office coughing a lot. She cleaned houses for a living. She told me her coughing was from asthma. She had an inhaler and her doctors were monitoring her disease. As the years progressed, Karen was told that she did not have asthma afterall. She indeed had a lung disease. Time progressed very slowly for Karen as her disease now required her to be on oxygen 24 hours a day. I saw Karen 2 weeks ago. To me she was breathing a little harder but she assured me that things were the same. She really needed a lung transplant but she was not hopeful that it would happen any time soon. Bob (Karen's husband) called me this morning with the news that Karen had passed away in her sleep on Saturday. Through the tears, I told Bob how sorry I was. Karen and Bob were married a long time ans had no children. Karen was crazy about her nieces and twin sisiter but she was more in love with Bob. We will miss Karen a lot. My point is that we knew Karen was dying and we knew that the end was near. But no matter how much you know and how much you prepare yourself, it is still a shock and very sad to all. Love your family and friends today. Pass it on.

2 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger HelloBettyLou said...

Oh, mommy, it's ok. You still have us and we're not going anywhere, in fact 2 of us are moving home soon.

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom-Betty Lou told me about Karen, and now that I read your blog, it makes me sad. She was a nice lady.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home